Name, Isra Sravenheart
1. We’ll skip the “tell us about yourself” because coming up with something on the spot is, truly, the bane of an author’s existence. So, let’s start with something a little easier! Tell me what you’re working on at the moment.
I am currently working on my 7th book in my Blackened Series, Touched by Darkness. This follows my most recently published book Kissing Darkness. This is the book I consider to be the funnest to write as there was so much going on. I actually feel like any book after this, almost in some way, falls short compared to Kissing Darkness because it’s a real vibrant fast paced world.
2. In as much detail as you would like, tell me about your book(s) that are already out/on the way.
I have five books so far out in the Dark Spell series. The first is Her Dark Soul. I then followed this with Her Dark Heart and Her Dark Rose. I then realized I mentioned a significant history between Isra and other characters that needed backstory so that’s where Her Dark Love and Kissing Darkness come in as these are the books that go back in time.
3. As far as the writing process goes—including such things as conception of ideas all the way through to money in the bank—what is the least favourite bit? (Everyone has one!)
Least favourite bit for me is the bits in between all the action, I find those a bit mundane for my tastes but what I usually do to make it more interesting is work on the more exciting bits then go back to the bits I may not enjoy as much.
4. Conversely, what is the bit of the writing process that gets your writery brain grinning?
The moments where I can fully explore my character’s reasoning to fully understand why they are that way. I primarily focus on villains so I really love delving deep into all that. It’s a long, gradual process that I don’t rush.
5. If you could steal any author’s ability to improve your own work, who would you steal from and why? (e.g. Tolkien’s language skills, Douglas Adams’ humour, etc.)
Hmmm I am not sure if I’d steal from anyone in terms of writing ability but I do like the way Neil Gaiman puts together things and makes it so relatable but yet so dark at the same time.
6. Now for some fun! The main character of the book you’re working on (or have recently finished) has kidnapped you for ruining their life. How will you explain that what you’re doing is for the best?
Isra will probably hate me for this but she’s about to meet another man and get her heart broken yet again. She’s going to be very angry but she should be pleased as it will reintroduce her beau Astrid back into her life of whom has never truly left her side. So she may well be quite mad but I hope Astrid returning softens the blow. Otherwise that would be challenging to negotiate a ransom.
7. You, your main character(s), and the protagonist of the last book you read are playing poker. What are the stakes? Who will win and why?
Astrid would likely win. He’s very cunning and you can never know truly what he’s thinking. Isra is smart but I don’t think she’s any match for Astrid. The stakes would likely be the green glowing orb he presents to her in Kissing Darkness but he’d give it to her even if she loses!
8. Let’s face it, writing is hard. What do you think are some traps to avoid in your particular area of expertise? (Whether that be your genre, your knowledge of plot, your character building, your world building, etc.)
Traps to avoid are definitely creating elaborate plots that you can’t work with because you’ve created too much going on. I have to say I don’t feel writing is hard but for me personally if I’ve done too much, I may be burnt out and have to focus on something else for a little while.
9. Anything else you’d like to add? Plots to take over the world, for example. Upcoming release dates, links and things, maybe even your favourite chocolate cake recipe.
I finished book 6 in the Dark Spell Series a couple of weeks ago so I would hope to have both 6 & 7 out before the end of this year. After that I’m jumping into a new series that will also involve witches but something completely different to the Dark Spell Series. As it’s a relatively new project in the works, I shall be tight lipped on it for now. Book 6 also has a whopper of a storyline going on so there may be an 8th instalment. As there will be a lot going on!!! Think, “what you think you know you don’t and all of the players are lined up, not knowing where the hell they are ending up because they’ve just been smacked in the face.”